Resources for Debtors
Unclaimed funds represent money collected during a bankruptcy but not distributed because the bankrupt could not be located. By law, these funds must be turned over to the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy (OSB) and held in trust until the rightful person (i.e. the person owed the money) comes forward to make a claim.
If your trustee informed you there are some unclaimed funds (e.g. a goods and services tax (GST) reimbursement), or if you think some money is due to you from your bankruptcy, contact the OSB by phone (613-941-5766), fax (613-941-2862) or email.
Important information you need to know if you wish to submit a claim:
- There is a non-refundable fee of $30 for each request for unclaimed funds. A cheque or money order for this amount made payable to the "Receiver General for Canada" must accompany the request.
- The Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy retains the right to require additional documentation in support of an application for payment of an unclaimed fund and to refuse payment when inadequate documentation or proof has been submitted.
Making a claim
You must submit the following with your claim:
- A completed affidavit form.
Documentation proving where you were living at the time you filed for bankruptcy, such as an old telephone bill that shows your address.
If you do not have such documentation, add a handwritten note to your affidavit giving your full address as of the date the bankruptcy was filed.
If they do that, but write the address by hand, both have to initial the note.Note: Both you and a Commissioner for Oaths (i.e. someone who is authorized in your province to administer an oath, such as a notary public, lawyer or other official) must initial the handwritten note as well as sign the affidavit.
- A cheque or money order for $30 made payable to the Receiver General for Canada.
- Have you included your current address and telephone number?
- Have you included supporting documentation with your claim?
- Have you enclosed a cheque or money order for $30 made payable to the Receiver General for Canada?
When you are ready, forward your claim by mail to:
Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy
Business and Financial Services
155 Queen Street, 4th Floor
Ottawa, ON K1A 0H5