When incorporating, you create a new legal entity called a corporation, also known as a “company.” Under Canadian law, a corporation has the same rights and obligations as a person.
Benefits of incorporating
Federal incorporation offers many benefits to your business, including
- the right to use your name across the country
- limited liability
- lower corporate tax rates
- better access to capital and grants.
Eligibility detailsAny business operating in Canada can incorporate federally.
What you need before you start
Before you incorporate, read about
- incorporating a business corporation (see Is incorporating right for you?)
- incorporating a not-for-profit corporation (see Creating a not-for-profit corporation)
How much it costs
For business and not-for-profit corporations, it costs
- $200 (online)
- $250 (email and mail)
Other ways to apply
- By mail:
- Corporations Canada
235 Queen Street
- By e-mail:
- Date modified: