Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2000 – Province: New Brunswick
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Petitcodiac Regional School
1 Corey Avenue
Petitcodiac, New Brunswick E4Z 6H4
Principal: Dan Pollock
School Telephone: 506-756-3104
School Fax: 506-756-3110
Grades/Subjects Taught: English, writing, theatre arts
- Demonstrate the relevance of English in today's society, and open students' eyes to the lifelong learning potential of reading for enjoyment.
- Every student has something special to offer; find that talent and nurture it.
Creates innovative projects to engage student interest:
- Time-Line allows students to research and showcase their life, family background and accomplishments in any media they choose; regardless of capability, students shine and gain respect for themselves and others
- English students compile a portfolio of poems, short stories and journal entries
- theatre arts students rewrite or create original scripts for elementary and high school productions.
Classes are consistently full, with a zero dropout rate. Mr. Sweezey's students regularly score above average on the provincial English exam. Several each year go on to study English and theatre after graduation.
Supervises yearbook committee, drama club and school newspaper:
- in 1993, yearbook staff met all deadline commitments and received a Partnership in Excellence Award from a major yearbook publisher for their work
- the Petitcodiac Regional School Drama Club regularly wins accolades at the New Brunswick Drama Festival, including outstanding production and outstanding performance by an actor
- several students have been published in the local newspaper; one student received a scholarship for a letter she wrote.
"Paul Sweezey encouraged me to develop a critical attitude and fashion my own opinions and ideals." Former student
"He manifests a passion for his subject matter that inspires our students to explore, examine and investigate beyond the limits of the traditional classroom." Principal
- Date modified: