Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2000 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Calabogie Public School
19 Parnell Street
Calabogie, Ontario K0J 1H0
Principal: Kim Shoveller
School Telephone: 613-752-2204
School Fax: 613-752-0087
Grades/Subjects Taught: Multigrade class (junior and senior kindergarten, grades one and two), all subjects except French
- Bring learning to life for students; make it fun.
- Go the extra mile to keep morale up among both students and staff.
- Challenge students to strive for excellence; involve parents in this quest.
Supported introduction and use of computer technology in school:
- led staff training and support for software packages, scanner use, new report card (E-Teacher) and electronic planner program
- provides technical support in school for hardware and software problems
- co-presented E-Teacher demonstration on board professional development day and distributed a much-needed and user-friendly manual for the program
- 100 Email Messages for 100 Days activity solicited emails from around the world; new messages were read daily and their origin posted on a large world map; class actually received 268 messages in the 100 days of the project
- Class Mascot Exchange Program sends stuffed animals around the world; mascots correspond with class by email; student moving to Sweden will take a mascot along.
Excels at the complex task of teaching split grades, and shares her lesson plans, activities and resources with fellow teachers. Students in a previous split class achieved the highest scores among schools in the area on provincial English and mathematics tests.
Contributes significantly to professional development in the school board, and is a sought-after trainer and a mentor in the board's program for new teachers. She is also an associate teacher with a university faculty of education.
"Donna Cox is that Special Teacher that every parent hopes their child will experience at least once during their schooling. The one with something extra that is hard for adults to define, but that children intuitively recognize and respond to." Parent
"In my 28 years of teaching I have rarely come upon a person who has so much natural teaching talent coupled with a vibrant personality and the utmost professionalism." Former principal
- Date modified: