Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Year: 2000 – Province: Alberta
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
Fred Fehlauer , Shirley Jorgensen
School: Blackgold Storefront School
Leduc, Alberta T9E 6M6
Principal: Catherine J. Nicol
School Telephone: 780-986-9466
School Fax: 780-986-9484
School Website: www.blackgold.ab.ca/schools/storefront.htm
Grades/Subjects Taught: Humanities, social sciences, career and technological studies (CTS) in an alternative school
- Every student has the ability to learn, and every teacher has the responsibility to help students find the key to unlock that learning potential.
- Teachers and students both consume and produce knowledge. In this process, risk taking is encouraged and applauded.
- Education is a continuous personal journey.
Created or modified courses for an alternative school that offers self-paced, guided independent study programs, as well as flexible enrolment and course adaptations to meet student needs and interests. Teachers and tutors are available when needed. Mrs. Jorgensen and Mr. Fehlauer created 15 stand-alone courses and modified 120 components of the CTS program, including the following:
- child care course, which brings teen moms and babies together with a health nurse to learn about child care; 12 girls have completed this course, and some have gone to complete their high school diploma
- work experience, which allows students to earn up to 15 credits toward their diploma in the workplace; program has brought 37 students closer to graduation and employment
- registered apprenticeship program, which provides valuable job skills and training to students; so far, nine students have completed their first 1,200 hours of training
- green certificate, which is an apprenticeship-style agricultural program; six students have achieved competence in cow-calf, crop and dairy skills and gone on to agriculture college or employment.
"I honestly don't think I'd be able to finish high school if there weren't programs like Storefront around." Student
"Shirley Jorgensen has an unusual ability to make each student feel important yet does not compromise her position of leadership, respect or authority…. Mr. Fehlauer has a stern but deep compassion for his students. I like the stern aspect of this because he clearly is not a 'push-over' and the students quickly learn that." Parent
- Date modified: