Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2000 – Province: Alberta
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Bertha Kennedy Catholic Community School
175 Larose Drive
St. Albert, Alberta T8N 2G7
Principal: Jim Montpetit
School Telephone: 780-458-6101
School Fax: 780-458-8360
School Website: www.bk.gsacrd.ab.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grade one, all subjects
- Don't miss a learning opportunity; find out what the children are interested in and modify the year's program to fit those interests.
- Build the program and approach on meaningful events in the children's lives.
- Encourage participation and celebrate success.
Stretches young children's minds with innovative, creative teaching strategies that meet various learning styles:
- creates crafts that develop fine motor skills and creativity, relate to unit of study and make learning fun and satisfying
- classes score up to 21 per cent above provincial average on provincial math test; as a result Mrs. Johnson was selected to develop department of education mathematics curriculum
- developed a successful reading program: children from special education classes gained honours achievement marks by the end of the year. A student who started grade one as a non-reader advanced to a grade 4.6 reading level by June.
Fuels student interest with goal setting and reward system:
- the 100-day party celebrates the 100th day of school with games and learning activities all using the number 100
- a unit on Mexico culminated in a Mexican party, complete with piñata
- small toys and treats go into report card packages, reward learning milestones and celebrate special events.
"From not reading at all to reading books on his own; from minimal math concepts to achieving speedy math capabilities, Daniel has been inspired to learn and challenge himself daily. He loves school and continues to build on the firm foundation built by Darlene in grade one." Parent
"In the short amount of time I spent with the grade ones, I could see improvements. It was plain to see that (Mrs. Johnson's) students would be very well prepared for grade two." Student teacher
- Date modified: