Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2002 – Province: Manitoba
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Garden Valley Collegiate
736 Main Street
Winkler, Manitoba R6W 4C8
Principal: Karl Redekop
School Telephone: 204-325-8008
School Fax: 204-325-5894
School Website: gvc.gvsd.mb.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grades 9-12, business education, computers
- Create student-centred learning whenever possible.
- Provide opportunities for community and business partnerships that will not only benefit student learning but also provide future employment opportunities and sustain community growth.
Spearheaded mobile learning (M-learning) in school by using personal digital assistants in his teaching. Students take and share notes and assignment details, work together as teams, carry out independent research and develop comprehensive and well-organized final documents. Interestingly, the use of handheld devices is especially attractive to girls - typically reticent to enrol in technology-based courses - and may prove to be a critical element in opening the high tech field to girls.
Leads the way in organizing and promoting communications technology-related events and groups:
- Educators of Business and Information Technology Special Area Group conference, featuring prominent national and international speakers - the first high tech conference for business education teachers held in rural Manitoba
- Digitized Winkler Technology Conference, giving students from south-central Manitoba the opportunity to hear from leaders in business and technology and explore career options in the field
- the GVC Web Masters group, a student-centred learning experience producing web pages highlighting school programs, activities and special events; it has developed into a Web design course teaching foundational skills for entrepreneurial opportunities and employment in the technology sector.
"He has inspired individual students to work harder and reach higher and they have been surprised and gratified by their results." Principal
"His accomplishments in technology are outstanding, especially because he also continues to provide a high level of achievement in other areas of his school life." Colleague