ARCHIVED—Sandra Marie Haley
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2006 – Province: Nova Scotia
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
School: Memorial Composite High School
80 Memorial Drive
Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia
Principal: Joseph MacDougall
School Telephone: 902-736-6233
School Fax: 902-736-3895
School Website: www.cbv.ns.ca/MCHS/
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grades 11 and 12 Biology
- Helps students explore the potential of the internet as a learning tool and not just as a form of entertainment.
- Has integrated ICT into the curriculum by requiring students to do research reports involving internet resources.
- Provides opportunities for students to be actively engaged in hands-on learning through the use of learning packages, which include a variety of multi-media technologies.
- Has designed a Biology website to provide a valuable resource for students and teachers.
- Developed collaborative internet-based projects by having her students participate in SchoolNet Grassroots Projects funding initiative.
- In 1988, Ms. Haley was awarded a SHELL Canada Merit Fellowship to attend the Queen's University Summer Program for Science Teachers.
- 1n 1990, Ms. Haley was the recipient of the APICS/Northern Telecom Science Teaching Award, awarded to one teacher from the Atlantic Provinces.
- In 1998, Ms. Haley was given an Award of Excellence from the University College of Cape Breton, for the use of technology in the classroom.
- In 2003, Ms. Haley was given the Innovative Teaching Practice Award by the NSTU.
- In 2005, Ms. Haley was presented with the AST Science Teaching Excellence Award, in recognition of effective classroom teaching and dedication to professional leadership in Nova Scotia.
"Ms. Haley's engaging style promotes learning not only in her students but also among her fellow teachers. A leader in her school community, Ms. Haley's commitment and passion for education is contagious. Student teachers thrive under her tutelage. Under her leadership, her science department has been committed to meeting the diverse needs of students at all levels." - Director of Human Resources, Regional School Board
"Sandra is a highly dedicated, creative and compassionate educator. She truly has the ability to make biology come alive through various hands-on activities including the use of models, computers and preserved organisms for scientific dissection. It is clear that her focus has always been, and continues to be, her students' development of scientific understanding, curiosity and personal achievement." - Former Student and Teacher
"Ms. Haley is an excellent educator. She is creative in her teaching methods, compassionate to her students and challenging to their academic limits. She pushes her students to excel and as a former student of her advanced grade twelve biology class I reap the benefits of her teachings as I continue to excel in biology in university."
- Former Student