Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2006 – Province: Quebec
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
School: École Lalande
50 3rd Avenue South
Principal: Norman Bergeron
School Telephone: 514-855-4238
School Fax: 514-684-3330
School Website: www2.csmb.qc.ca/lalande/steph
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grade 6, all subjects
- Uses ICT in the classroom to illustrate and reinforce teaching methods.
- Uses traditional and nontraditional lesson plans to diversify the classroom experience and to explain complex and abstract concepts.
- Students are often put in "teams" in a "league" during group projects. This concept emphasizes the need for each team member to contribute to the success of the group.
- Invites parents to become active participants in student learning.
- Runs and maintains a web page where past students can post and discuss topics with current students to promote outreach within the community.
- In 2005, Mr. Côté was a finalist for the Governor General's Award for Teaching Excellence.
- Operates a school web page that has received more than 14,000 hits. Mr. Côté writes all of the internet content and is constantly updating and tweaking the page to the needs of his students and parents.
- Seven of Mr. Côté's students placed in the first percentile in the prestigious Pythagoras Math Contest.
- Mr. Côté's class is required to complete a silent film, start to finish, and present a story from the history of Quebec. Students must fundraise, recruit actors from the community and produce these films which are shown at a gala attended by other students, parents and faculty.
"In my opinion, Mr. Côté's teaching techniques fulfill the criteria for the Prime Minster's Awards perfectly. Because of him, his students have acquired the skills, the attitudes and the competencies to succeed in the society and marketplace of tomorrow. The talent of Mr. Côté is particularly illustrated in his innovative teaching methods. It is with technological projects that Mr. Côté succeeds in whetting the learning appetite of his students." - University Professor of ICT
"Mr. Côté is sometimes in front of his students but more than often, behind them and always beside them because he always wants them to find the best they have to offer. His students discover a joy in learning that promotes life long commitment to education. The classroom becomes a laboratory that every student is proud to be a part of." - Principal
"I am convinced that the students of l'École Lalande, with many hours of guidance from Mr. Côté and others, leave the school with a dedication to learning that portrays school as a positive learning environment, which is what we all hope for the children of Quebec." - Member of the Quebec Assembly
- Date modified: